Smart City Mission (SCM) is the flagship initiative of the Government of India in urban development sector, which was launched on 25th June 2015. 100 cities are to be developed across the country under this centrally sponsored scheme in collaboration with State Governments. As per the Mission Statement and guidelines of this scheme, the objective of SCM is to promote cities that provide core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens, and a clean and sustainable environment and application of ‘Smart’ Solutions for the city. The focus is on sustainable and inclusive development and the idea is to look at compact areas, create a replicable model which will act like a light house to other aspiring cities.
The core infrastructure elements in a Smart City would include:
- Adequate water supply,
- Assured electricity supply,
- Sanitation, including solid waste management,
- Efficient urban mobility and public transport,
- Affordable housing, especially for the poor,
- Robust IT connectivity and digitalization,
- Good governance, especially e-Governance and citizen participation,
- Sustainable environment,
- Safety and security of citizens, particularly women, children and the elderly, and
- Health and education.
207 total views, 1 views today